- Jeff Sessions has been confirmed as attorney general by the U.S. Senate.
- Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly says the U.S. may require travelers from the seven majority-Muslim countries cited in President Trump’s executive order to hand over their passwords to Facebook and other social media sites before entering the U.S.
- “President Trump has sent a letter to his Chinese counterpart saying he looked forward to developing a ‘constructive relationship’ with Beijing, the latest in a series of conciliatory signals by the new administration after months of heated rhetoric aimed at America’s largest trading partner.”
- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has renounced his U.S. citizenship.
- Today’s massive snowstorm in the northeast has already snarled traffic, closed schools, and resulted in thousands of canceled flights.